Tuesday 8 April 2014

To Show off, or not to show off?

Well…the question that I’m pondering over is; to show off, or not to show off? I’m excusing myself from this dilemma because I’m a humble creature so don’t have to worry with such big issues. This question is for people around me whom I meet often. They are always going ga-ga over something or the other. It may be as big as their children being married to some Miss World or Mr. World (I hope there is a pageant like that :P), or as small as a new sleek and beautiful toilet seat they have at home (Ugghhh…)

I don’t really understand why would you want to show-off? When you are singing glory about anything and everything about you, you are actually portraying yourself as a complete idiot. Is it only me who feels that in this way you are actually flattering the other person that you are so badly in need of their appreciation? Why would you need the approval of the world to tell you that you are good? You want to tell them that, see I have this big house, car, fancy clothes, etcetera, etcetera. You know how it actually sounds, allow me please. It is like; ..blah..blah..blah…please have a look at me…blah blah blah…I am so pathetically in need of your respect. So all in all you look like a hopeless person in need of respect..cough, beggar.

Okay I agree this is the era of marketing, where you have to go out in the open to talk about your product being the best, but hellooo..we are talking about people here. If you are so fond of telling the world about the minute details of your life, then at least have the sense to do it the right way. Learn from the marketers, you would not like if someone in the name of promoting their products comes up and pastes a pamphlet on your face! @%$*&!@*@#%* some beautiful words will naturally flow out of your kind mouth in praise of that person. Ta-daa! Now do you understand how people like me feel when you are singing that paean of yours again and again.

Okay you or your Daddy dearest has lots and lots of money, so why bore me with the details? Psst.. an advice the income tax people might be listening so hush-hush. What did you say? Your Uncle’s cousin’s friend’s brother is filthy rich! Woah! Should I be impressed? Okay I have a question, answer me please.
Is he naming me the sole heiress to his property?
Don’t be aghast? It’s a simple question, If the answer to this is ‘NO’ then please save your time and mine, I’m not interested.

They say money makes the world go around, true dat! Who doesn’t like a fat paycheque? Still is that big a thing to be impressed with? Especially when it’s someone else’s? Naah. It’s not that I have renounced worldly affairs, no need to look out for a halo around my head.  Still I can appreciate your belongings and possessions but how on earth do you expect me to be impressed with that? Am I missing something here?

Blame it on my parents they never taught me to admire things in this way. I have seen it in school and college also. Believe it or not but after Valentine’s Day girls used to discuss how many gifts they got from their respective boyfriends. I’m sure guys had other things to show off to their peers ;).  This matter wasn’t just limited to one gender. Someone’s boyfriend has a fancy bike/car (It used to be bike in our times, now the economy has progressed) and the whole college should know about it. Someone got a date with the super-hot chick of college and who will not know about it, none.

Such people grow up to me the kind of lot who glorify their toothbrush and toilet seat. Thank God they stop at that, who knows maybe there are more gory details they would like to shed light on.

I have even met people who think they are reincarnation of Plato or Socrates. They are incredibly talented in boring you to death with their words of wisdom, cough nonsense. Well I’m highly indebted to you for blessing my kind soul, but can I take your leave now, I don’t want to die out of boredom. That’s what my inner self keeps shouting all the while.

Actually on a personal level I feel if a person is really intelligent then their arrogance or show off can be a tad bit more bearable. But hey it is a personal choice nothing right or wrong about it. Yet blatant display of knowledge or anything else is extremely unpleasant.


Over all I find show-offs extremely obnoxious. I feel if you are actually praiseworthy or admirable then you don’t need to blare your vocal chords, your actions will speak for yourself. And in that I rest my case, not to show off is the right thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. wah wah kya baat hai..........had to comment after reading otherwise it would be like going by dabepauun..

    keep writing always......

    ReplyDelete
  2. good analysis.. this was for sure to happen..but its just a beginning..next upcoming level is much hard..you yourself are going to continuously recall these fools timely and later at an hourly interval to FIND out YOURSELF..just before LOSING yourself..and much much before when you yourself will appreciate A PART of their personality..so before you distinguish between you and the peoples around here,be alert they are enough to demolish your being..they carry infections..so to avoid your nursery classes again..remember yourself always..but don"t let it to turn into your OBSESSION.."WE DIE AS A HERO..OR WE LIVE UNTIL WE TURN INTO VILLAINS.."

    ReplyDelete